Alatri, Fumone and the Certosa of Trisulti

Alatri

One of the most beautiful places in the province of Frosinone, in the heart of Ciociaria. Alatri is a town that stands on a hill at the foot of the Ernici mountains, known for the presence of artefacts dating back to different eras.
The City of the Cyclops, this nickname of Alatri derives from the excellent state of conservation of the Acropolis of Civita, or what is considered one of the most shining examples of ancient architecture in Italy. A symbol of the so-called megalithic cities of Lazio with related legends and stories of various kinds.
Alatri preserves a very rich architectural heritage, one of the fortified cities that still preserves visible and in perfect condition the megalithic walls of up to 20 meters high. The birth of Alatri, in ancient times Aletrium, is attributed to the God Saturn.

A visit to Fumone

Near Alatri in the province of Frosinone there is one of the most evocative villages in the area; a wonderful historic center with evocative views of the Valle del Sacco, a medieval castle, a Gothic church and the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta are the setting for this wonderful village.
The village of Fumone is also known for being the place of imprisonment of Pope Celestine V after he renounced his pontificate. Among the well-known personalities who lived in this characteristic village there is Professor Giovanni da Fumone, Apostolic writer of Pope John XXII in Avignon. A tour of the village of Fumone is more than ever recommended when making a guided tour of Alatri.

The Certosa of Trisulti

In the heart of Ciociaria, you can visit the Certosa di Trisulti, which is the most suggestive mountain belonging to the Ernici Mountains. A place that is framed in a fairytale landscape on the top of a rock with a panoramic view of the valley.
The Certosa of Trisulti is a magnificent example of religious architecture in the mountains dating back to the year 1000 by the Benedictine monk San Domenico da Foligno. Among the places to visit, the mystical cave of the Madonna delle Cese dug in the rock under the cliff, a monastery dedicated to St. Benedict that in 1200 ended up under the control of the Certosini; the Palace of Innocenzo III, an ancient Romanesque-Gothic style Foresteria; the Pharmacy, built in the eighteenth century in a place that was already used by Benedictine monks to prepare medicines, ointments and drugs with the herbs collected.

Commenta per primo

Lascia un commento

L'indirizzo email non sarà pubblicato.


*